From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:07 PM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: [CHAT] Holiday weekend

How is it that four days at home goes by so fast? We had a very relaxing
weekend and I don't feel at all bad about not mowing the lawn, which really
needs it. I weeded quite a bit and read a couple books.
We got our sheep sheared for an astronomical amount of money, when you only
have 3 sheep it costs quite a bit per head. Husband tried once years ago but
it is harder than it looks, and you can hurt them if you're not careful, we
don't like the sight of blood. So we hire it out but whoa! Costs are so high
now he's going to get a thing for the shears that will leave more wool on
them, then we can do it ourselves without so much danger of cutting them. I
I should mark the date, because my vegetable garden is completely weeded -
well, almost, more about that later. But everything else is done. I gave up
on ever getting any lettuce after the rabbits and ground squirrels decimated
it; I tried to cover it but it didn't seem to want to grow back, and those
that are look like they're bolting. We've had several meals with delicious
snow peas, and even though I got about one-fourth of what should have been
there, at least there's enough to feel satisfied about. The tomatoes look
good, the peppers not bad, the green beans I replanted are strong. I'm even
seeing some okra coming up, those must be tough seeds they had to be about 6
years old. No eggplant though so I went and bought some plants. My replanted
soybeans didn't germinate and I have no idea why. Next year I'll buy from
somewhere else. But I should have enough for a couple of edamame snacks.
Only 4 zucchini plants - yes, it's too many, but I did cut back from my
usual six!
I need a different method to plant herbs. For the last 3 years I have direct
seeded cilantro, dill, parsley, and basil in rows and I've fought the weeds
every time. The first year I got great stands of basil and parsley; last
year only the dill struggled through. This year the basil and dill look
good, some cilantro but the parsley is very weak. I want the vast quantities
of herbs but too many weeds come up and you can't pull the weeds without
pulling the seedlings too. Next year I'll try the cilantro in pots, I think,
and start watering the garden quite early to see if I can germinate the
weeds first, then plant. At the very least I want piles of basil, you've no
idea how luxurious it is to be eating homemade pesto in January.
My rhododendron is blooming in big clouds. I may have the only rhodo in the
high desert! Maybe not, but I haven't seen any others. It came with the
house so I don't know if it's got a name. The dry garden is still looking
wonderful. And I forgot to mention that one of my zauschneria is back! Don't
know why one and not the other but I'm pleased. I've deadheaded all the
roses and trying to keep up with the coreopsis and gaillardia. I have one
daylily blooming (a real boring pale yellow, I'm going to yank it later),
some of the roses, thrift, and...ummm...I can see it, looks like an aster,
but the name is gone. There's plenty of work to be done but it will have to
wait for a bit.
Looks like I am going on a cruise to Alaska next week. My sister planned it
a while ago for the two of us but we've been trying not to anticipate too
much, as my brother-in-law has been ill. But he's doing okay for the moment
so barring any emergencies (keeping my fingers crossed) we are sailing next
weekend! I've never been on a cruise and husband has no desire to go, I'm
looking forward to something new.