Re: Kitten ...NOW Daryl's Dad

Daryl, thanks for the positive progress reports on everyone!
Re the kitten, by all means go ahead and trap it now. It will definitely be harder to truly tame the longer you wait. I have trapped several feral cats myself and also wince a little internally -- not wanting to be trapped myself! But it is best for them. I caught 3 of 4 kittens from a feral litter under my house, by hand, at about 8 weeks and they are all now fine pets. The 4th one I could not catch until 12 weeks, and while I kept her inside with the others for a month, and she did tolerate me, she was never friendly or cuddly. I took her to be spayed at 4 months and released her back outside with her mother, aunt, and grandma. If she had been the only kitten and I could have spent more time with her, she probably would eventually have come around. Good luck.
--Barb Tandy, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Kitten ...NOW Daryl's Dad

I've still not heard more about my Dad, but I'm assuming the best or I would have had a phone call or another email from my sister, even as frugal as she is. (Before she left, she was balking at the $3. cost of sending an email from aboard ship, while complaining about the weird European keyboards you find at internet cafes. ) I emailed again last night, but the cruise info said that satellite email communication is not always available. If I'm counting the days correctly, they've gone from Bulgaria through Serbia to Hungary now.

My friend's daughter was found to have a broken shoulder blade from the accident, even though the initial hospital report was negative and she went home - makes you wonder! She's in quite a bit of pain.

My landscape installers daughter's surgery went well this morning. They removed a large cyst from her sinus cavity and with proper care, antibiotics and the like she should be fine.

And I survived my second round of physical therapy today. Not fun, but I'm still walking.

Oh, and the kitten is still un-caught, but lets me sit 3 feet away and talk to it. I borrowed a Havahart trap today from a friend at church. Now I get to debate again - to catch and crate or just keep it fed until it's friendlier. I'm a little afraid that the older he/she gets the harder it will be to tame.