Re: does one pinch tomatoes?

Cyndi, that just sounds like too much work. I remember getting abundant fruit years ago w/no special effort. But I don't think it gets too hot here. Tops might be 100 but it doesn't usually stay there long. How hot is too hot? I did come across the answer as to why my tomatoes crack. It's happens when water isn't consistent. A heavy rainfall after a dry period. So I will try to keep the water steady.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:04 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] does one pinch tomatoes?

I tried the make-my-own plastic wrap for a couple years but I just
couldn't get the hang of it. I was always out there in the wind with 20
pieces of flapping plastic, trying to get the @#%^ things to wrap around
the wire cylinder and then actually stay secured, which they never did
for more than a day or so. It took me hours one year just to get the
stupid stuff on the cages. I gave up and now just buy the wall-o-waters,
which, if you don't fill them with water, are nice heavy-duty circles
that stand up to sun and wind, and last about 3 years. More expensive
than make-your-own but I find it much less frustrating.
I plant as early as is practical because I need the plants to put as
much out as they can before it gets so hot they won't set fruit. Great
climate, huh, have to plant when it's too windy because if you don't,
you'll plant when it's too hot.
I also put a lot of mulch around the plants too. And now I'm looking at
your stuff here and I see something I haven't paid attention to before,
about the ammonium form of nitrogen. That was a high reading on my soil
test last year, I suspect because I mulch with sheep manure and spoiled
hay from their pen. I wonder if I should buy some plain straw this year
and mulch with that instead.
Hmmmm.

Cyndi