Re: Plants; Global Warming

In a message dated 05/03/2007 5:16:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
islandjim1@verizon.net writes:

In this morning's NYTimes. The subtropicals are coming.

Very interesting, but I lost some plants this winter that have
grown here for years.  The Santolina ericoides had suffered
damage in hard winters before, but this year is completely
gone - after nearly 30 years.  Oriental poppies that I have
had for years have not appeared.  A large bed of Japanese
anemones are showing only a couple of shoots.  Azaleas
look barely alive, and may not bloom - they are usually
in bloom by now.  An old "Devil's Walking Stick" Aurelia -
can't remember its botanical name right now, but is a
native - seems totally dead.

On the positive side, although the weather stays cool and
cloudy, the hummingbird returned this week.  Most years
I see it first when the azaleas bloom, but they aren't even
near blooming yet.  I looked at the migration site just to
see how far they had come, and discovered to my surprise
that they were already in New England, so I hurried to put
out a feeder.  The next morning early there they were!
And yesterday there was a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak at
the feeder.  I haven't seen one for years.  What a beautiful
bird!
Auralie