Re: More weather, and other stuff

These are tiny wasps--predator size wasps, smaller and more fragile looking than house flies. And they must not be colonizers because they are not in the least hostile. They are paper wasps; they build flute-shaped nests of about five cells, often in unlikely spots, like the bottom of a plastic hanging basket.

On May 7, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Lots of newspaper articles about the honeybee die-off claim avocados as
one of the fruits that would be hard hit by the loss of bees. I have
seen avocado honey for sale too, at the Carpenteria avocado festival (I
didn't buy it). But where you are there must be a different pollinator,
interesting.
We have bumblebees, honeybees, and a couple other little bee-like
creatures I haven't tried to identify. We have leaf-cutter bees,
probably I shouldn't like them but I do, they rarely cause a lot of
damage and I like the little circles they leave - makes a sort of
art-deco look. There are a couple kinds of wasps, yellowjackets are
common, paper wasps not so common, and mud daubers also not so common.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 11:25 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More weather, and other stuff

Guess I need to make and keep a bug census. Honeybees are irrelevant to
mangos, avocados, black sapotes, and annonas [sugar apples and
atemoyas]. Major pollinators for these are wasps--small ones, maybe more
than one kind--bumblebees, and flies.  I think ants may be involved in
some plants; papaya comes to mind. Of course honeybees are pollinators
of citrus; I don't know what other insects [if any] are involved, but we
seem to have had a normal year for setting here.