A decent weekend

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: A decent weekend
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:35:29 -0700

Not too bad this weekend. The winds abated to the merely annoying stage.
It was pretty bad Friday night, they cancelled the local baseball game
due to it - you could barely see to drive for a lot of our way home. But
it died down.
I went to an iris show on Saturday. Normally I don't do that kind of
thing, I don't like to take that kind of time out of my weekend. But my
friend wanted to go and since we're both kind of limping around I
figured why not. The actual show wasn't much, the organizers explained
all the local competitors dropped out since the flowers all got shredded
because of the wind. That must have been disappointing. They had a bunch
of iris for sale though, my friend bought about 8 plants and I bought
one, a bearded iris called Batik.
I got my husband to move the rest of the patio pots out of the
greenhouse so that's done. He mowed the lawn too. I planted all my okra
and a few of the eggplants, and made chicken wire cages to go around
them. It's getting pretty ridiculous, the varmints are so bad every
plant has its own protective cage now. I even had to cage up the
zucchini seedlings! The peas are getting decimated and the lettuce is
starting to go, so tonight I'll run by the home store and buy yet more
chicken wire, try to fence off those particular beds until we can come
up with something better. I did notice that nothing is eating the
cilantro, so I put out a few basil plants on the theory that the
critters will leave the strong herbs alone. Maybe I should come up with
a planting scheme that puts unattractive stuff like the herbs, garlic or
onions on the outside rows.
The peppers are still in the greenhouse. I'm not entirely sure when I'll
get them out; my weekends are spoken for until Memorial Day so I gotta
figure out something.
The dry garden is looking pretty nice considering most of the salvias
are gone. Salvia greggii looks good though, the buckwheat, lavenders,
and penstemons are all blooming - it's a happy sight. My roses are past
their first flush already. I don't have hardly any of my iris blooming,
seems like they are pretty late this year or maybe they didn't care for
the freeze. Unfortunately I can only focus on the good stuff for a few
minutes before I start seeing all the weeds. Well I'll do what I can
anyway.

Cyndi