Re: Happy Mother's Day Story

That is a terrific story!  Thanks for sharing, Judy.
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 8:50 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Happy Mother's Day Story

Just had to share this story my friend Claudia sent me. Wish I knew who the author was. Something here for anyone who loves kids or cats or a good chuckle.
Judy B z 6 Idaho

So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just recently died.
Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him around and sit on him
and nothing ever bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long
on this mat in our bathroom. Well we have 3 kids and at the time of this
story they were 4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old. The middle one
is Eli. Eli really loves chapstick. LOVES it. He kept asking to use my
chapstick and then losing it. So finally one day I showed him where in
the bathroom I keep my chapstick and how he could use it whenever he
wanted to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer when he was
done. Last year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush around
and try to get ready for Church with everyone crying and carrying on. My
two boys are fighting over the toy in the cereal box. I am trying to
nurse my little one at the same time I am putting on my make-up.
Everything is a mess and everyone has long forgotten that this is a
wonderful day to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood. We
finally have the older one and the baby loaded in the car and I am
looking for Eli. I have searched everywhere and I finally round the
corner to go into the bathroom. And there was Eli. He was applying my
chapstick very carefully to Jack's . . . rear end. Eli looked right into
my eyes and said "chapped." Now if you have a cat, you know that he is
right--their little butts do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack
didn't seem to mind. And the only question to really ask at that point
was whether it was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's behind
or the hundredth.
And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever because it reminds us
that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little
creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've been
using your chapstick on the cat's butt.