To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] peony volunteers Gene

Kitty,
So many gardeners have grown only the fully double peony they forget that peony can and do make seeds if they have the functioning parts left after hybridizing. Looong time from germination to seed, but does happen. And, best way to germinate is to simply let the seed fall or sow immediately where you can let seedlings grow for a while. Gently dig them up, separate and replant in the cool of the morning and water in. They will be fine. Now all you have to do is wait about 4 years for the first blooms.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

Subject: [CHAT] peony volunteers Gene

Oh my, I am giddy with the thought. I so hope I am right. But how to proceed? I saw this short row of leaves growing in a shaded path in the back of my garden. They just didn't look like a weed, but what were they? Hmmm....looked again today...faintly familiar, but nothing near it had the same leaves. As it turns out these seedlings are in the path in front of where I HAD my Paeonia obovata. But I moved it to more sun last year and it's doing much better. The leaves look and feel very much like it. Oh, I so hope that's it. But what to do? dig and pot? transplant? They can't stay in the path, bunched together. would I kill them if I moved them?

Both Tree peonies opened completely a few days ago with the heat and will pass on fast. Paeonia japonica is just finishing blooming and the P. obovata I moved has produced buds. Unfortunately my P. Molly the Witch never came up, but these seedling obovatas will make up for that. On the sunny herbaceous hybrid front, the P Coral & Gold and P Taki No Yosooi have fat, ant-covered buds that will open soon.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5