Re: Rain

Cyndi, what do you have in your dry garden? We're not in the same planting zones, but thought there might be some overlap and ideas for me --
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:13 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Rain

No rain here, and likely no chance of any until next year. We went
camping in the mountains this weekend and while there is water in most
of the streams it is very dry up there. My sister says she will be
surprised if they don't close the whole area around mid-summer.
I planted 33 chile pepper plants last night, along with about the same
number of bell peppers on Friday. Both beds are covered with Reemay but
I ran out so I had to uncover the soybeans to take care of the peppers.
Hope the rabbits don't go after the soybean plants but they are good
size by now so I am not too too apprehensive. We haven't yet received
the zapper thing my husband ordered so I'm still protecting everything
with Reemay and chicken wire.
Aside from the lettuce and the peas, most things in the veggie garden
look okay. But I haven't uncovered the corn in weeks so I don't know
what's going on under there, I'll have to check it out before I go to
New Mexico next week. I got most of the roses deadheaded and that's
about all I've managed to do in the front. Husband says if I leave him a
list while I'm gone he will do some work in the evenings. What a guy. He
can recognize grass so perhaps I'll ask him to weed the dry garden, if I
say pull only grass it should be safe enough.

Cyndi