RE: Rain

I have lots of salvias - salvia clevelandii looks the best, also s.
greggii is happy as it's reseeding itself, s.leucophylla, s.
pachyphylla, s.dorrii, s. spathacea. Some penstemons - p.palmeri does
the best it also is reseeding, p.strictus, p.heterophyllus. I've tried
other penstemons but they don't last long. Russian sage, texas ranger,
hesperaloe, buckwheat (Eriogonum umbellatum and e.fasciculatum), Apache
plume (Fallugia paradoxa), spanish lavender, common sage (but it's
struggling), caesalpinia gilliesii, and zauschneria. I have desert
willow (Chilopsis linearis) and silk tree (Albizia julibrissin),
although the silk trees were there before I decided it was a xeriscape.
They've managed okay. Couple of agaves but the gophers are eventually
going to eat them as they've done all the rest, and one opuntia cactus
that may or may not recover from the Big Freeze. I put out Bulbine
frutescens as well but I think that's going to end up as an annual. I
have one ornamental grass but I can't remember what it is, probably some
variety of pennisetum. Dune primrose (Oenothera deltoides) appeared in
the garden and is rapidly spreading, it does not seem to choke out
anything so I leave it as it's quite attractive in bloom. Usually there
are California poppies but not this year, I should have watered during
the winter. I would love to have Datura but so far none of the seed pods
I've collected have produced any plants, and I'd like ceanothus but
haven't been able to get one to live so far.
If you're looking for CA natives check out the Las Pilitas web site,
they are very informative about what grows where - pages and pages of
plant communities are listed. Plug in your ZIP code and they will tell
you what is native to your area.

Cyndi