Kill the Wabbit...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Kill the Wabbit...
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:54:01 -0700

We got the fence charger thing in the mail yesterday, so I told my
husband his task while I'm away next week is to hook it up and see if he
can't zap some rabbits. I'm pretty sure it's the rabbits eating my
vegetable garden now and not squirrels, but there are squirrels out
there somewhere so you never know. The lettuce is likely a total loss at
this point, it's getting too hot for it to recover enough for us to eat.
They don't seem to like spinach much so we're having some of that. The
peas are producing a little bit but again the losses there were so great
we won't get more than a few meals from the whole bed. I pulled the
Reemay off the soybeans the other day to cover the newly planted
peppers, and last night I noticed a poor soybean plant nibbled down to
its stem. Sigh. Well, I'll have to figure out something tomorrow or
there won't be anything left by the time the fence charger gets done -
and we can't cover the entire area with it just yet anyway. The tomatoes
look pretty good though, so do the zucchini, eggplant, onions, basil and
most of the okra.  Husband said he would work on the teahouse garden
next week too. And I'll be back before the long weekend so I'm looking
forward to getting a lot done then.
Off to New Mexico! My friend says it's about 60 degrees in the mountains
where she lives, definitely colder than here.