To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:16 AM
Subject: [CHAT] weeds

I totally agree with that philosophy, Jim.  But the
problem here is that I just can't bring myself to
pull out Aquilegia canadensis, the little red Columbine,
or Viola tricolor, Johnny-jump-ups, and both are taking
over my vegetable garden.  How could I possibly pull or
dig out the two-foot-square mass of Columbine with
literally hundreds of blooms?  Or the similar mass of
Johnny-jump-ups in the lettuce bed? I try to work around
them, and deadhead to try to have some space left for
vegetables.  Of course, I think the Columbine that grows
up between the stones of my front steps is charming.
And this week Dame's Rocket - can't think of its botanical
name right now - is popping up everywhere.  I wouldn't
mind that in the flower bed, but it prefers almost any
other place.  I will have to pull out lots of that, and I hate
to.  I really like it.
However, peonies are beginning to open, and they are
making quite a display!  You may have lots of things we
can't grow "up nawth," but what is spring without lilacs
and peonies.
Auralie

In a message dated 05/31/2007 4:50:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,