Re: Amazing what 2 weekends in the garden makes!

I'm glad it hasn't changed too much. One of my great, great, great uncles built the first bridge across the river to your state, and I still have cousins there, though I haven't visited in more than 40 years.

My grandparent's farm was in the middle of noplace when I used to visit. Now, it's a commuter suburb for Milwaukee, though it's an hour out on the new freeway. Kids still ride their bikes in the street, and the biggest event in town is Holland Days, but the handwriting is on the wall. It's sad. People even have to lock their doors now.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melody " <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Amazing what 2 weekends in the garden makes!

Daryl: Oh, it's still mostly rural here in Iowa...only a handful of
places w/ >50,000 people (the college towns mostly) and only 5 or 6
metro. areas. Total state popul. is around 3 million. The town I live in
is 679 people. The largest town nearby is Iowa City, pop. 70,000 when
the University is in session, about 50,000 when it is not. But we are
rather proud of our University Hospital...it is ranked nationally #1 in
at least 3 specialties, and has world class research/treatment centers
overseen by professionals who are internationally acclaimed in their
fields. You'd be surprised what you find hiding amongst the cornfields
here in addition to the hospital. If anyone ever comes this way, give me
a heads up and I'll send you some links to some really cool places to
visit.

Blessings in Christ's mercy,

Melody

Work for the Lord: the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!