Long Haired Cat advice

Our new adoptee ( assuming that he quits beating up the household critters) is
a long haired cat. They had to shave him when they neutered him because he was
so full of mats that several days of combing and cutting didn't make a dent in

So, now what do I do? He's already got a couple of knots in the tail fluff
they left. I've got a slicker brush, but it barely bounces off the top. What
do I need?