Re: Long Haired Cat advice

We've had pretty much nothing but long haired cats.   It is  almost
impossible to get a mat (almost like felt if it is an old mat and has  gotten
wet).....my suggestion would be to cut any mats out of the fur, and then  just begin a
routine to groom the cat.  Daily is not necessary, although  you can.   THey
will get used to it quickly and actually enjoy  it.  My old cat Flaksey used to
come every morning for his grooming, if I  didn't have time, he would get
highly upset until I literally HAD to do it, just  to have peace. LOL   I've
never had to use a slicker brush (metal) on  our long haired cats.  A comb or a
bristle brush would do fine.  Cats  (even some dogs) have sensitive skin, and
don't care for the feel of the  metal.   Long haired cats don't usually get
matted easily unless they  go outside.  They usually are pretty good about getting
anything out of  their fur themselves if it is stuck.  A treat after being
good for the  brushing, doesn't hurt either.
Congratulations on the new kitty.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 5/3/2008 1:15:21 PM Central Daylight Time,