Re: What's up for your weekend?

Cold snaps won't come from here any more this year, I think. If you want one, you'll have to get it from elsewhere. Day temps are in the high 60s, low 70s; nights in the 40-50 range.

Went to the farmer's market today. Today was its opening day for the season. Spinach, asparagus, strawberries, scallions, snap peas. Not much else. Lots of nursery people, however, and mostly organic, selling everything from pea pyramids to yellow oyster mushroom starter kits to various native plants. We ate lunch there: Peruvian tamales, which were quite tasty.

When we left the market, we went to an odd little nursery that seems to specialize in stuff other nurseries may avoid. They had peonies in bloom, for example, and all manner of columbine. There were two huge [I'm not making this up] lupines in full bloom in 3-gallon pots by the front door. They had fig trees and, growing in a planter next to the building, what I took to be a Chinese fan palm [Livistona chinensis], one of my favorites; next time I'm there, I'll have to ask.

On May 3, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

We had a cool snap roll in here yesterday too - not that cold of course, but
awful cool for this part of the world in May.  Weird weather.

On 5/3/08, Betsy Kelson <bkelson@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Well Cyndi,
      After a snowy Thursday, and a windy and cold Friday...I hope to
a great weekend at the garden center. Lord knows we need to make some
in this economy. It better warm up fast from the 28 degree start
to the predicted 57 degree high.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT"
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:58 AM
Subject: [CHAT] What's up for your weekend?

What's everyone's plans for gardening this weekend? It should be sunny
and warm here, hopefully not too windy. The winds were ferocious
yesterday - gusts up to 50mph - but it seems to have calmed down this
I hope to be able to ride this weekend so my gardening time won't be
lengthy. But I am going to try and get the peppers in the ground.
Hopefully I have enough row cover to protect both the beds, if not I'll leave the chile peppers in the greenhouse till next week. I have to take the cover off the peas and figure out some sort of rabbit defense. We have the hot wire but plugging it in requires unplugging the lights for
the hay shed, so I'm going to ask husband to see if he can't come up
with something.
On husband's list will also be repairing the back lawn - there's a lot of damage from the dogs digging after gophers. And I used to have the corners planted with various perennials, but they never got watered very
well, so that's a mess.
After the peppers I am going to tackle weeds in the front garden. Gawd what a job that's going to be, but if you never start you never finish. Although in weeding it seems that you never finish no matter what, so
maybe I need a different motivating mantra.

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A

Island Jim