Re: First snake of the season

I had a nice sized garter snake slither past my backdoor- on his way from side garden to back garden last week. The cats were glued to the sliding glass door (that's how I knew something was out there).
Theresa

Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
We've been seeing newspaper articles about the rattlesnakes, and a local
email group I subscribe to has been talking about the many snakes out
now, but I saw our first one only yesterday. I went to swing open the
drive gate while husband drove the truck out and there was a HUGE gopher
snake preparing to slither across the drive, only a little ways from my
feet. Had to be over 3 feet long for sure. I leaped, of course, but said
very calmly "Snake, don't run over it".  So husband got out of the
truck, checked him out to make sure it was really a gopher snake, and
grabbed it to relocate under the hay container. That man has nerves of
steel.
I got my peppers planted, 31 chile peppers  and 35 sweet peppers. The
chiles are mostly poblano and Anaheim with a couple jalapeno and a
couple habanero. I've not grown habanero before so this will be
interesting. The sweet peppers are half red, yellow, and orange bells
and half the red Marconi or Corno di Toro type. I'm glad I put them
under row cover since the wind came up in a big way Sunday afternoon and
was still blowing hard this morning. This year it would be easier to
just mention when there is NOT strong wind, it's been so incessant.
I uncovered the peas but I couldn't find the rabbit fencing stuff I used
last year, and husband didn't have time to run the hot wire, so
hopefully the rabbits can't eat too much between now and Tuesday evening
when we can fix it.
Got the back lawn mowed too, it's been a while.  Poor lawn, it's seen
better days. Between the gophers, the dogs digging after the gophers,
and our haphazard sprinkler maintenance it is pretty shabby. I am not
sure if it makes sense to keep it a lawn anyway - the sycamore tree
roots are so big now that the surface is terribly uneven.   But I don't
have any better ideas either.

Cyndi