Re: back to gardening....

Main thing to keep in mind is that holiday plants have been pampered and likely stressed to get them to bloom at a specified time, so they are truly hot-house plants that require some time to get adjusted to the real world. This is the time of year when gardenias normally bloom in Florida, however, so the adjustment may not be quite as difficult as I said. I've never grown one indoors, but my sister has said she would like to grow one in a pot for the deck in summer and keep it in the greenhouse in winter. Main pests are aphids and scale. Definitely an acid lover; feed it azalea food, Miracid would work, too. Best mulch is shredded pine bark or coffee grounds or a combination of the two. A gardenia is one of a very few "gift" plants that is worth trying to save and grow on. Good luck.