Re: Monday

I can recommend wool dress socks for those chilly days. Seems if I can keep my feet warm, I'm OK. The dress socks are warm without being bulky. A lot of the better mens wear stores have them on sale in the spring & summer. Like Theresa said layer up in the morning & shed all day long. I planted the Fargesia rufa "Green Panda" today, also the blueberries, Kinickinick, varigated Cornus (shrub, Magnolia sieboldi Oyama, Snowberry, species Rosa all before 1030 am. Tomorrow I want to start planting pots and get after the weeds again. I have a few prennials to get in also, then I can buy more plants. Granddaughter's 1st T-ball practice was today. What a hoot. You could tell we were newbies. The parents of the older kids practicing at theat field all had their lawn chairs & jackets. We stood around & shivered. She hits and throws well, but we need to work on the catching. Went out to dinner, then to buy her a mitt. It's all about fashion, had to be purple since we couldn't find a green one. Not quite 7 and already very much into cool.
Judy B z 6 Idaho cool & overcast, then sunny & cool today.
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Monday

Not sure I'm getting used to the weather here, but I'm trying. It's 58 degrees today but projected to steadily climb to 91 by degrees next Thursday. Meantime, nighttime temps remain in the mid to upper 40s. Oh, well.

Lots of plants are blooming, a few of which I recognize: evergreen and deciduous azaleas, rhododendrons [of course], Chinese wisteria, mahonia. The ceanothus are on the verge; there are three or four large shrubs beside the drive that are loaded with buds. It will be a mass of blue once they open.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'
Hardiness Zone 8/9
Heat Zone 5
Sunset Zone 6
Minimum 0 F [-15 C]
Maximum 86 F [30 C]

Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.16/1427 - Release Date: 5/11/2008 1:08 PM