Re: geranium cheryls shadow

Plant promiscuity strikes again!
Cathy
On May 13, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Kitty wrote:

I meant: Geranium x hybrida 'Cheryl's Shadow'.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] geranium cheryls shadow

That's its scientific name - Geranium 'Cheryl's Shadow', or inlonger form, Geranium Whybrida 'Cheryl's Shadow'. The exact parents are unidentified, however the female parent is presumed to be Geranium traversii var. elegans 'Porters Pass' (unpatented).

Background:
The variety relates to a new and distinct cultivar of Geranium known botanically as Geranium Whybrida and hereinafter referred to by the cultivar name 'Cheryl's Shadow'. The new variety 'Cheryl's Shadow' is a perennial hybrid plant grown for use in containers and in the landscape as an ornamental.

'Cheryl's Shadow' was discovered by the hybridizer as a chance seedling that resulted from open pollination occurring in a cultivated area of Arroyo Grande, Calif. The seedling 'Cheryl's Shadow' was selected in 1999 for its dark purple foliage and contrasting pale pink flowers. 'Cheryl's Shadow' was discovered as one individual seedling among other Geraniums in a block of mother stock. The block of mother stock was made up of the following different individual crops of Geraniums that were being evaluated for commercial production: Geranium 'Bertie Crug', Geranium "Crug Strain Seedlings", Geranium sessiliflorum ssp. novaezelandiae 'Nigricans', Geranium traversii var. elegans 'Porters Pass', and Geranium 'Stanhoe' (all unpatented).

'Cheryl's Shadow' is a Geranium characterized by low-growing habit, dark purple leaves, rose-pink stems and small pale pink flowers. The exact parents are unidentified, however the female parent is presumed to be Geranium traversii var. elegans 'Porters Pass' (unpatented). 'Cheryl's Shadow' is distinguishable from 'Porters Pass' by flower color. 'Porters Pass' exhibits white flowers whereas 'Cheryl's Shadow' exhibits pale pink flowers. Geranium 'Pink Spice' (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 12,172) is the closest comparison plant to 'Cheryl's Shadow'. When compared with 'Pink Spice', 'Cheryl's Shadow' exhibits smaller leaves, dark purple foliage, open rosette branching, small pale pink flowers, and a low spreading habit.

In 2001 the inventor conducted the first asexual propagation in a cultivated area of Arroyo Grande, Calif. using the method of stem cuttings. Since that time subsequent asexual propagation has been conducted using stem cuttings, tissue culture and division. Under careful observation the instant plant has been determined stable and uniform and reproduces true to type in successive generations.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "cathy carpenter" <cathycrc@comcast.net >