From: Jesse Bell <silverhawk@flash.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:49:34 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] annuals

Kitty
wrote:
I thought Sweet Alyssum, Lobularia maritima, was a short-lived

perennial, but I checked MOBOT and he calls it an annual zones 1-9.
> So
maybe the ones returning are seedlings.  I don't know, I don't
> grow it.
grow sweet alyssum every year in zone 6, BUT, it is self seeded.  After the
first couple of hard frosts, I go out and pick up the dead plant, shake it
really hard above where it was planted, and the seeds fall out.  The plant
itself would not come back.  HOWEVER, in Texas, it was both...if it was a mild
winter, it never really died back...but it also re-seeded itself.  So - I
guess that would make it a "tender perennial" then?  Not sure.  But I really
like growing it.