To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday,
May 27, 2008 3:16:54 PM
Subject: [CHAT] It's not just deer

You've all heard
enough of my complaints about and struggles
against deer, so I'll not bore you
more.  But I have a fenced area -
maybe 30 feet on a side - where I grow
vegetables and a few choice
shrubs and perennials.  A few years ago we had a
problem with a
woodchuck eating my beans, so sunk chicken wire a couple of
down all around the fence.  That seemed to correct the problem, but
year someone - probably the woodchuck - made a hole near the
gate.  My peas
were climbing the fence and looking just great - my
mouth was starting to
water - until I went down the other day and found
that someone had eaten them
all down.  They were neatly chopped off
at about 4 inches all the way around
the fence except for about one foot
that they somehow missed.  @#$&*!
We have
stopped up the hole and I have replanted, but it is much too
late for the
peas.  They don't like hot weather, and these won't have time
to mature before
it gets hot, even in this cool spring.  I just hope my
beans will be
protected this year.
A few years ago Kitty scolded me for saying I felt like
I was losing the
fight with nature, but that's the way I feel.  Someone else
has been
digging up my pots in the container garden in the breezeway as fast
as I plant them.  Every morning the plants have been dug out of the
pots and
thrown around.  I think it is a skunk, since there has been a
hint of that
odor, but since we know we have raccoons, it could be them.
To say nothing of
the chipmunks that swarm.  They dig in the pots, too,
but don't do that much
damage.  Our cats don't go out, so don't help
with the problem, but we have
seen several stray cats in the area this
spring.  I keep hoping they will
develop a taste for chipmunks, but so
far no luck.  Oh well, I wouldn't want
to live on a city street, so I'd better