To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:16 PM
Subject: [CHAT] It's not just deer

You've all heard enough of my complaints about and struggles
against deer, so I'll not bore you more.  But I have a fenced area -
maybe 30 feet on a side - where I grow vegetables and a few choice
shrubs and perennials.  A few years ago we had a problem with a
woodchuck eating my beans, so sunk chicken wire a couple of feet
down all around the fence.  That seemed to correct the problem, but
this year someone - probably the woodchuck - made a hole near the
gate.  My peas were climbing the fence and looking just great - my
mouth was starting to water - until I went down the other day and found
that someone had eaten them all down.  They were neatly chopped off
at about 4 inches all the way around the fence except for about one foot
that they somehow missed.  @#$&*!
We have stopped up the hole and I have replanted, but it is much too
late for the peas.  They don't like hot weather, and these won't have time
to mature before it gets hot, even in this cool spring.  I just hope my
beans will be protected this year.
A few years ago Kitty scolded me for saying I felt like I was losing the
fight with nature, but that's the way I feel.  Someone else has been
digging up my pots in the container garden in the breezeway as fast
as I plant them.  Every morning the plants have been dug out of the
pots and thrown around.  I think it is a skunk, since there has been a
hint of that odor, but since we know we have raccoons, it could be them.
To say nothing of the chipmunks that swarm.  They dig in the pots, too,
but don't do that much damage.  Our cats don't go out, so don't help
with the problem, but we have seen several stray cats in the area this
spring.  I keep hoping they will develop a taste for chipmunks, but so
far no luck. Oh well, I wouldn't want to live on a city street, so I'd better
just quit complaining.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

1:25 PM