Re: Ground cover

I have ajuga too. Planted it on purpose and now pull most of what I find. It even likes sunny areas. Jim, I can send you starts of Ajuga, Convularia & Galium odoratum. I also have an upright pass-along fern that spreads. Narrow vase shape, bright light green shade, sun, anywhere. Or that Viola I sent Jesse. I won't miss a few starts of that. You may need to fence off small areas for a year to let the plants get established or just plant along the edges or by rocks & such. (on the side they don't mark.) I could send a box next week? Other ideas Bunchberry Cornus canadensis, dwarf bamboos, pulmonaria, lamium (Creeping Nancy deadnettle), hosta ----- Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ground cover

That's interesting, Theresa. Here in the Hudson Valley, lily of the valley grows right through my black-top drive and takes over all the rough places.
Sweet woodruff makes a nice border along the fence in the vegetable
garden, but in no way seems invasive - it's been there at least 30 years
and hasn't really spread a lot.  I doubt it would take much foot-traffic.
Obviously lily of the valley takes all kind of traffic - even automobiles -
but it can get pretty ratty looking.  What  has just about taken over my
so-called lawn is Ajuga, including a purple-leaved variety.  Nothing
seems to faze it.  It doesn't even mind being mowed.  I don't particularly
like it, but around here it seems to be the most durable, satisfactory
ground-cover.  That might not be true in another climate.

In a message dated 5/30/2008 1:39:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,