Re: Out & About...

I have this plant, Sambucus nigra "Eva" It is so beautiful. It has started to come up all around it .. little babies but I don't mind, I would love to try moving some to other places in the yard. I did try root pruning it this year to see if I can move some successfully. In western Oklahoma I think of it as my Japanese Maple that I can't grow. I have mine in a lot of shade and maybe it would flower better if it had more sun... but it would need more water then.
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 4:27 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Out & About...

We went nursery hopping this morning. We wanted to get some vegetable plants--peppers, eggplants, a cherry tomato--and see if there were any field-grown pansies left [nope]. We also wanted to kinda look around for ideas. Three junipers have died in one of the street-side beds and we're having a line of five incense cedars along the back fence limbed up on Monday, so we've got some interesting areas to think about. So, mostly, we were just window shopping.

We saw a black elderberry [Sambucus nigra "Eva," which is definitely on our list to consider planting somewhere].

On the way home, we took a detour and went by Schreiner's iris nursery. It's mind blowing. They have a few acres of demonstration gardens where one can wander, picnic, photograph, whatever. Mainly, of course, it's a show case for their irises, but the beds are chock-a- block flowers--irises, lupines, columbines, poppies, herbaceous peonies, delphiniums, alliums... masses of spectacular color every where you looked. And, of course, I hadn't brought my camera.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'