Re: when do you know it is ready?

  • Subject: Re: when do you know it is ready?
  • From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 19:17:59 -0700

Artichokes are perennial here. Picked one for a friend and hope it is ready- looked like it. Think my loquat has a couple more days still before it is completely ripe. It is yellowish, but doesn't have any give when gently squeezed. I will watch out for the birds!!
Thanks,
Theresa
james singer wrote:
Loquats should be their ripe color [golden]. Otherwise they lack sweetness and flavor. If the skin gets blemished [a few brown spots] in the meantime, don't worry about it. Also, they ought to be softish... it's okay to squeeze them gently to test; they don't bruise. And watch out for birds--commercial growers put paper bags on them to keep the birds away. Wonderful fruits when ripe, great for out-of-hand and tarts and pies, but they don't juice very well; skin must be an important contributor to the flavor.

Artichokes are another matter. Don't know; never grew them. Guess I'd pick one when it looks like it's edible and try it. Are they a perennial there?