RE: when do you know it is ready?

  • Subject: RE: when do you know it is ready?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 07:53:59 -0700

You want to pick artichokes when the buds look fat but before the
"petals" start to open up. Sort of a judgement call at first, takes a
little practice. Since you're essentially eating an unripe flower anyway
it's okay if you pick them early.  I have seen baby ones for sale in the
markets but I'm not sure how you're supposed to eat them - you'd still
have to take out the choke I imagine.

Cyndi