Re: mosquitos

In a message dated 5/1/2010 4:01:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
zemuly@comcast.net writes:

Auralie, are shad flies the same as the
black flies in Vermont and New Hampshire?  They are the worst!

Probably.  They come in the spring when the shad runs in the Hudson.
They are small black flies that swarm in clouds, get in your eyes, nose
and mouth, and are generally horrid.  Fortunately they don't last too long.
But about the time they leave, we have deer flies which really sting.
Add to that deer ticks which give you Lyme Disease.  Why do I love
this place so much?  More reasons than I can count.