Re: the economy
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: the economy
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 08:55:35 -0500

I don't recall when I started doing plant sales but it has to be at least 15 yrs. I used to divide my plants and cut pictures out of catalogs and tape them to the containers. When I got my first computer in 1995 I started making my own tags.

I suggest buying early if the price and selection are better then. No one says you have to plant immediately. I'm too busy with my sale to plant early, often my new purchases don't get in the ground until June. I order new plants to arrive in April and I pot them up to the next size and care for them as if they were in a nursery waiting for sale. They develop better root systems while they wait and by the time I can get to them they are better developed. I have also found via trial & error that bareroot plants do much better this way here. Our springs are usually too wet to put them directly in the ground. I pot them, give them an initial watering and then set them on the south side of the house under the eaves so they get very little new water. As the pots begin to dry out, the plants growth trigger kicks in to reach for more water. If they were in the ground they often just rot from too much moisture.

Most local purchases I treat the same way. Often I can divide a too full pot, pot up half, plant half.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Catharine Carpenter" <cathycrc@comcast.net>