Re: new Drift roses?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: new Drift roses?
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:46:03 -0500

I can't help but...
that picture makes them appear long-shooted scraggly IMO. And they always use their best photos for these things. I take it you want to do little pruning for height? These look like they wouldn't get tall, that they're more inclined to grow laterally or that the stems/branches are soft/weak so they stay short but go wide. One site said: "Grows to 1'H to 2'H in one year with fuller growth in second year, with a 2'W to 3'W spread". If you prune for control and to encourage branching, I wonder if that would make the stems thicker at the base and thus stand taller. Can't win for losin'.
Just some thoughts.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: <TeichFauna@aol.com>