A mystery...
  • Subject: A mystery...
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:08:54 -0500

Just came in from the back yard, and perusing my very overgrown perennial bed (if I had the energy, I would dig up 2/3 of it... but I digress...). I have had a lovely Baptisia australis for at least 6 years, and I noticed that it was extending at an angle from the bed. A closer look revealed that its root system had been completely severed just below the crown. As I sadly removed the plant, I noticed a hole at the bottom of the depression, about 3" in diameter. We have had rain the past several days, so I did not want to investigate with my shovel, but have any of you ever experienced something like this? Are there any members of the Rodentia who enjoy feasting on Baptisia? ( I suspect a rodent.)
Cathy, west central IL, z5b