Re: A mystery...
gardenchat@hort.net

In a message dated 5/3/10 3:10:40 PM, cathycrc@comcast.net writes:

> Just came in from the back yard, and perusing my very overgrown
> perennial bed (if I had the energy, I would dig up 2/3 of it... but I
> digress...).  I have had a lovely Baptisia australis for at least 6
> years, and I noticed that it was extending at an angle from the bed. A
> closer look revealed that its root system had been completely severed
> just below the crown. As I sadly removed the plant, I noticed a hole
> at the bottom of the depression, about 3" in diameter. We have had
> rain the past several days, so I did not want to investigate with my
> shovel, but have any of you ever experienced something like this? Are
> there any members of the Rodentia who enjoy feasting on Baptisia? ( I
> suspect a rodent.)

Cathy, I had great losses from voles this year as did many other gardeners
in our area.   I am sure your weather was much like ours with 3' snow from
Oct - Mar and the ground never froze due to the snow insulation which was
perfect conditions for them. They stripped many of my lily beds and destroyed
very large tree peony.   I did a little research and found they can
reproduce up to 5 times a year and can reproduce at age 1 month. (Is that more
than
rabbits?) They work around the clock feeding on roots and bulbs.   I know
things were rocking under the snow drifts and the deer & rabbits were
feasting above.
     Ceres