Re: native prairie plants
  • Subject: Re: native prairie plants
  • From: Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

Well that's the thing about native plants.  You never know what the heck they
are really gonna do, although that is somewhat true with 'fancier' plants
Prairie Smoke here doesn't multiply much.  But I have seen it really take off
in other areas.  Don't let the pictures fool you.  It is a tiny plant.  You
will never see it in the distance.
Getting Ironweed from a nursery it could be anything.....
Does it have hairlike tips? - Vernonia noveboracensis  also known as New York
Are leaves downy on underside and bracts without long hairlike tips? Vernonia
altissima also known as Tall ironweed. Native in your area.
Leaves smooth on both sides?  vernonia fasciculata - also known as western
ironweed - this one blooms July where the others are more like Aug...
I must say tho.... natives have their place in this world, and there isn't
anything more attractive than a field in blooms.... but I found a single area
in a small yard sometimes leaves it looking weedy rather than breath taking.