May so far
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: May so far
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:10:30 -0700

We are having a minor heat wave, it is 86F at the moment. Not terribly
hot and it will probably cool off a bit later in the week, but spring is
definitely here and summer is coming.
Despite my best intentions I was later than I wanted planting the peas
so they are just starting to bloom. In misplaced optimism I reused one
of the "leaky" hoses for them, but I should have known better. After
only a year our hard water clogs the hoses up so much they need to be
replaced. I thought this one was okay when I tried it but I'm having to
hand-water them every day now which never does all that well. I might
try unhooking that hose and dropping a new one in the bed - I'll never
get the old one out without tearing up plants but I might manage to
maneuver a new one into place.
The lettuce/spinach/cilantro bed has a new hose, so those are growing
like anything. Rabbits got under my little fence and chowed down on the
lettuce, so I'm having to wait for that to grow out again, but the
spinach is lovely and the cilantro is lush. I'm giving away bags of
spinach at work and I'll be chopping and freezing cilantro this weekend
for future salsa and cilantro pesto.
I'm late on the tomatoes as well but we had frost only two weeks ago, so
maybe it was just as well. I'm putting them in the ground this week and
hopefully the peppers too. The frost took out half of the six zucchini
seedlings but those grow fast. I have not looked under the row cover
over the corn and beans, hopefully they are all okay; I can see a couple
seedlings peeking out the sides.
My roses are going to be covered in maybe a week, lots of blooms right
now. Lots of weeding to do out there too, the gardeners are doing very
well but unless I pay them more they can only spend so much time. I'm
pretty happy with them, all in all.
Every year around this time I promise myself to get out in the garden
after coming home from work and I'm actually doing it this year. So far
anyway. Even with all that needs to be done I can see the results, just
need to keep at it.
DH put a trap in the chicken coop and has caught and disposed of three
ground squirrels (caught one cat, looked too well fed to be a stray
although maybe it was eating well on ground squirrel, anyway we let it
go). That is saving a lot of chicken feed, which doesn't cost chicken
feed let me tell you. And we sold our Suffolk ram plus one ewe, so we're
down to two sheep now, by the end of the year we'll be sheepless. I will
miss them, but it was a lot of work.
How's your garden?

Cyndi