Rose question
  • Subject: Rose question
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 18:23:02 -0400 (EDT)

I have a number of miniature rose bushes that I grow in pots in my
container-garden in the breezeway.  Most winters I heel them in in
the vegetable garden rather than leaving them in pots over the winter.
Last winter our back slope was such a mess with downed branches
after the October snowfall that it was difficult to get to the vegetable
garden.  I managed to get most of them heeled in, but one was in
a quite large pot so I left it on the screened porch.  It looked really
good all winter - kept its leaves, etc.  But when I moved the pot out
into the sun last week, the leaves - all but a few on the bottom of the
plant - turned completely white.  I've never seen anything quite like
it.  They aren't brown like dead leaves - just white except for a thin
green line at the edge and down the center of the leaf. What is going
to happen to the plant?  I am assuming that the whiteness is caused
by sunburn, but don't think Noxema would help.  The leaves have
not dropped off.  Will the plant put out more growth?  This is just one
more strange thing in this strangest of seasons.