  • Subject: Clivia
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:43:21 -0400 (EDT)

Now I know why Clivias are so expensive.
Several years ago Jim generously sent me a beautiful yellow Clivia when
my old one that I had grown from a tiny seedling died.  The new yellow
thrived and bloomed.  I think I sent Jim a picture.
I had read somewhere of a fantastic price for Clivia seeds - $5.00 apiece
or something like that, so I when the flowers faded and seemed to have
set seed, I let them stay instead of deadheading it.  Well, that was in
the summer of 2010.  This January, a good eighteen months later, the
stem still stood with five marble-sized fruits, and finally one seemed to
split a bit.  I carefully peeled off some of the pod and planted it in a
pot - l
eft the others on the stem.  After about six weeks, a couple of blades
appeared - nearly an inch.  By now the others were looking as if they
might split, and the stem was beginning to look dried.  I took off the
other seeds - gave two to good gardening friends and planted the other two.
At last one of the other two has sent up a tiny blade.  At this rate I
expect to live to see these plants grow to blooming size, so maybe I'd
better put these seedlings in my will.  Wish some of you were near
enough that I could share, but don't think I would dare try to ship
these tiny fragile seedlings.