Turn off the wind!
  • Subject: Turn off the wind!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 412 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:35:30 -0700

 We're having yet another wind event, this office is in a manufactured
building and it's creaking and groaning all around me. They're saying
gusts up to 70mph.  I am so tired of wind. I don't even know if there's
more or less than previous years, I just know I'd really like it to
stop. There's dust everywhere inside, sand piles up in corners outside,
my patio plants are tattered...argh. Someone turn off the fan please.
I meant to get the roses deadheaded this weekend but that didn't happen,
I lost momentum after stepping on a gopher snake in the garage.  I think
most of you are Facebook friends so you can read about it if you haven't
already. I'm really glad we have never seen a rattler at my house.  My
friend at work asked where was my husband in all this? Well, he was
loafing in the air chair in the backyard. After I shooed the snake out I
walked back there, all frazzled, and he looks up and says "Was that you
screaming?". I love him dearly but that was definitely a husband Fail.
Went into the vegetable garden Monday morning and the biggest tomato
plant - 3 feet tall - was completely wilted. A gopher came up
underneath, ate all the roots and six inches of the stem. In 20+ years
of gardening I have never seen that.  They do a lot of damage but never
tomatoes! Husband set a trap and got him, I dug up a volunteer tomato
out of a spot I haven't weeded yet and replanted, but I don't know if
replanting was worth it or not.  So far we've dispatched six rabbits,
eight ground squirrels and five gophers and it's not even June. It's
just astonishing how much damage the critters are doing this year, we
are just not used to needing so much protection. I lost all the lettuce,
most of the peas, half the beans, all the cilantro, four tomato plants
so far; I've given up weeding near the melons, cucumbers and zucchini
hoping the critters will not be able to find the plants among the weeds.
On the plus side the corn looks pretty good and there are still 14
tomato plants left. Picked the first zucchini on Sunday too. I haven't
pulled back the row cover over the peppers but I peeked and they seem
okay, I'll need to get in there to weed soon.
I'm still looking for the perfect irrigation setup. I have been using
that leaky hose, but it only lasts a couple years and isn't cheap. So I
bought drip tape, which also was expensive but is supposed to last
longer, and that didn't work at all. It puts out so little water that I
had to run the sprinkler timers at the max time - 99 minutes - and even
that wasn't enough.  Decided it wasn't worth buying another controller
to add watering times so I'm back to leaky hose. But now it's developing
large holes where the critters are biting it trying to get water.
Sigh...gonna be one of those years.
I went riding twice this weekend, that was fun although the wind makes
it rather gritty. I was so pleased with my horse River on Monday, our
ride included a tunnel under the road. I got him last year but somehow
we haven't tried a tunnel before. I didn't know what he would do and was
anticipating a struggle, most horses don't like it. But he pricked up
his ears and zipped through like he'd done it a million times, actually
trying to get in front of the other horses to go through.  I'm guessing
he had very pleasant experiences in past either with tunnels or
something like that, a dark barn passageway maybe, and at the end was
his home or a treat. I'll have to try him with the tunnel under the
freeway near us, it's much longer.
Hope everyone's doing okay, no flooding or tornadoes.