RE: Turn off the wind!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Turn off the wind!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 412 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:43:41 -0700

I grew caladiums for the first time last year.  Happiness Farms offered to
send me a free sample after I listed them on my website.  I wasn't expecting
much because most of those moisture loving tropicals just shrivel and die
here even with water. But they grew really well in pots on my patio, and the
watering chore wasn't excessive. I tried some in the ground, in a spot where
a fern does pretty well, but they only managed a couple inches tall there.
They looked so nice on the patio I ordered some this year too.
I'm trying hanging pots as well. I always thought it would be too windy so I
never bothered before but in April I didn't want to lose the pots I'd hung
in the greenhouse, so I thought what the heck.  Miracles, they don't move no
matter how windy it is. Half my stuff on the ground is getting beat to
death! However I am having a lot of trouble keeping them watered enough. I
used that coir stuff with planting mix, but that lets them dry out too much,
I might need to line it with plastic and have drain holes instead.

Cyndi