Re: Turn off the wind!
  • Subject: Re: Turn off the wind!
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

Wind hasn't been the problem, but we've gone from quite chilly early in  the
week - down into the 30s at night - to a sudden heat wave.  It's 81 at
9:00 AM
and predicted to be upper 90s before the day is over.  Crazy!
At least everything that can bloom is blooming.  The only thing in my  yard
hasn't performed magnificently this spring is the tree peony which usually
at least three or four blooms - none this year though the plant looks
What is magnificent are the so-called weeds I encourage.  My yard  right now
is a mass of Dame's Rocket  There is more than usual because I was not  able
to do the usual fall clean-up thanks to Hurricane Sandy followed by Chet's
and the ensuing medical visits.  Also, the perennial yellow foxglove
ambigua) is already coming into bloom, earlier than usual.   Many people
here call this a weed, too, because it self-seeds, but I love it. It grows
well in
shady places, and the deer don't eat it, so what's not to like?  I  think
the spikes
of yellow flowers that line the boulders beside my house look like  candles.
We had to have the so-called lawn mowed, but I put it off as long as
because it was such a blanket of violets - several kinds but most
a creamy white one that was given me years ago as an "English"  violet.  It
makes a viny clump about 8 inches high and wide and has many blooms.   Also
mowing meant cutting down the blanket of blooming Ajuga that carpets the
lower part of the backyard beside the pond.  People have asked me how  to
rid of violets in their lawns, but I think they are prettier than just
grass. Oh well,
I know I'm a bit odd in my tastes, anyway
In a message dated 5/30/2013 1:09:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,