From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hummingbird Nest Photos from mom to chicks
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:55:51 -0500

That is the most amazing collection of photos - just a thrill as I
have never seen a nest in person:-)

Jesse, I don't know about your moths and butterflies (unless someone
has been doing some major spraying locally - our populations were
very reduced for some time after the county went nuts spraying for
gypsy moths a few years ago), but hummers can meet all sorts of
catastrophes from unexpected cold, windy, rainy weather when they
first arrive to disasters between where they winter and where they
summer - they travel such incredibly long distances, you have to
wonder how the make it at all.  They are so tiny, it is hard to
credit that they fly all the way to South and Central America -
across the Gulf - twice each year.  And, of course, destruction of
their winter habitat has led to a decline in numbers, as well.

Every year I think mine have not made it back and then I see them
looking at the empty hummer feeder spot and race to get it filled and
out for them.  This year, we didn't seem to have as many as usual,
too, and I put it down to the long cold spring and excess rain.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :