From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:21:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] news of the day

You know, I like "stuff". I like my computer, my tv, my stereo. I like
all<br>the various office supply stuff I keep around to have just the
right thing<br>for a project. I like all the stuff in my garage that
makes gardening<br>easier and more fun. I will like my new kitchen
cabinets if they ever<br>finish installing them, even though the old
ones (40yrs) were still ok. [I<br>put them in the garage to hold more
stuff]. I like my Harmony Kingdom<br>stuff - gives me sort of a tickle
just to look at them. I like my garden<br>cat stuff, though they aren't
necessary to enjoy the garden. I like stuff.<br><br>But there is a point
when people need to say, I have enough stuff to keep me<br>happy, maybe
I could help someone else out with the stuff they need. And<br>even when
we don't yet have all the stuff we need or want, maybe we could<br>wait
just a little longer and help someone else get some deperately
really want or even think I<br>really need because it adversely impacts
someone else or the environment,<br>that's ok, too. Surely we can find
"Bonnie Holmes" <holmesbm@usit.net><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 10:31
point to the time "greed" became the mantra for corporate<br>> America.
I was working in D.C. in a large law firm in the late 1970's.<br>>
Ringer's book, "Looking Out For Number One" was on the best seller
list<br>and<br>> required reading for managers of many large firms. It
seems to me that<br>> from that point forward the emphasis was on
self...what one could acquire,<br>> how much one could spend on cars,
houses, etc., buying the best and<br>> bragging on it. Problems of those
less fortunate didn't concern those on<br>> this track unless they were
directly involved. The thought of giving back<br>> to the community
whose structure and principl

soapbox just turned over.<br>><br>> Bonnie Zone 6+
Talt <mtalt@hort.net><br>> > To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> > Date:
11/07/2003 9:07:17 PM<br>> > Subject: Re: [CHAT] news of the day<br>>
> > > May we someday wake up and go for more renewable, cleaner,
much fear that money is what<br>> > drives things the world around and
as long as those with vested<br>> > interests in keeping the status quo
are the ones donating mammoth<br>> > sums to election campaigns, I can
guarantee that renewable energy is<br>> > going to stay firmly in the
rumble seat. When you stop and think<br>> > about the vast network of
businesses that depend on oil in some form<br>> > for their existence,
you can see that the vested interests are large.<br>> ><br>> > Until
some disaster occurs, this nation seems set on reaction instead<br>> >
of proaction, and then seems to waste time, money and energy in<br>> >
trying to point to fix responsibility on some entity - witness the<br>>
> eastcoast black out this year - (I guess so people can sue them)<br>>
> instead of saying "Hello..it's time to do something about<br>> >
this"...just too much power in the hands of a few extremely<br>> >
short-sighted and profit-motivated persons.<br>> ><br>> > Now, I don't
have anything against making a nice profit in business<br>> > (only wish
we could manage that), but there is profit and there is<br>> > greed;
today, greed is winning hands down.<br>> ><br>> > Marge Talt, zone 7
Variegation on the Green Theme - Part One<br>> >

omplete Index of Articles by Category and Date<br>> >
http://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html<br>> >