Re: was Cyclamen / now Master Gardeners

In a message dated 11/9/03 6:25:52 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

<< This is one reason I like that our MG program accepts people first
come-first trained.  You aren't refused unless there is a problem like being
a serial killer.

It is my understanding that here in Fort Wayne there actually is an
organization called the Mens Gardening Club.  I haven't yet tried to gain
entry. >>

Kitty, we have talked of this  before but our MG candidates are selected by
signup date and then by their interest to participate and give their volunteer
hrs.  We have had many who were interested to increase their knowledge so as
to apply to their own gardens or for professional reasons with no intention of
payback hrs.
    There is a Mens Garden Club in our area also who still go by this name
but their 'mother'(?) club has been named Garden Club of America.  In fact the
natl headquarters is only a few blocks from me.  The local MGC has had a female
president the past few yrs yet will not chg their name.  How many of you
would be a member/officer to a mens club that would not recognize women?  You can
count me out!!  My husband did join this group one yr and dropped due to this
and because it was more social (dinner meeting ea month) than informative.
    Ceres