Re: news of the day: hybrid cars

The Prius is the greatest car I have ever driven. It is truly revolutionary.
The technology is fantastic. I'm not sure how much you have learned about
hybrid cars, but you may already know that you never "plug it in." It's funny how
many people think that YOU have to charge the battery. They don't realize that
the regenerative braking system and the engine charge the battery whenever
necessary.

I have a 2003 Toyota Prius, but the 2004 Prius is supposed to be even better.
 It's a little larger (by a few inches), a little roomier and gets better
mileage per gallon, like 55-60 mpg.  It is also bluetooth enabled, which means if
you have a bluetooth phone you can talk handsfree through the car's speakers!

Also, although Honda also makes hybrid vehicles, the Insight and the Civic
Hybrid, Honda's hybrid system is different from the Toyota Hybrid System in
that, the Toyota Hybrid System permits brief but frequent periods of driving in
what Prius drivers call "stealth mode", which is when the engine shuts off and
the car is being powered by the battery only! That is very cool. Although the
car is generally pretty quiet, when in stealth mode the car is absolutely
silent. It's neat & eerie when you're not used to it. The engine comes on whenever
the car needs it, and the transition is seamless; you don't notice it if
you're not listening for it.

Theresa, if you are interested in learning more about hybrids, there is an e
mail discussion list at Yahoo Groups, called "Toyota-prius"
(http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/).  I think there is also another list on yahoo
for hybrids where they talk more about the Honda Civic Hybrid.

If you want to learn as much as possible about the Prius, this discussion
list is a great resource. They discuss just about every topic imaginable
regarding the car.

Eva
Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7

"We don't do enough to exploit renewable energy resources."
Me

In a message dated 11/11/2003 4:20:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,