Re: absent Hummingbirds this year

We actually had more activity here in west-central IL, than last year, though total numbers over the long haul were probably average. My biggest thrill was the snow goose (blue phase) that hung around our pond for about 4 days before moving on.
Cathy
On Friday, November 7, 2003, at 09:45 AM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Well, I'm right smack dab in the middle (Oklahoma) and the hummers usually show up around the end of April, first part of May. Which, they did. But only for a short while. By August...I usually have a LOT of them...fighting and arguing over the feeders and chasing each other off). I didn't see that this year. By July, they had dwindled. That's why I felt it was going to be a harsh winter this year. They left early. I've just seen little signs of things heading south early. The geese left early too.

Jesse Rene' Bell
Claremore, OK
Zone 6

From: Wendy Swope <wendyswope@mindspring.com>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] absent Hummingbirds this year
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:27:19 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hm. . . sounds as if the odd weather affected the hummingbird crop in
some places! Those who noticed a decline in the hummingbird population,
where do you live? I am in SW OH and had many hummingbirds to watch in
June when my firepinks (Silene virginiana, I think) first bloomed, but
very few in Aug/Sep when they usually visit.

These little guys are my favorite birds, too, Tony, although I only get to see rubythroats in my region.

Wendy