From: Lynda Young [mailto: lyoung@grindertaber.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:54:58 -0600
Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society

Ha! You go, girl! I get so annoyed with stories that "parts have
been<br>discontinued" I could scream - that's almost worse than
appliances I am<br>convinced have been built to self-destruct once the
warranty period has<br>passed. What happened to American Built, Yankee
Ingenuity - built to<br>last longer, be more efficient and work harder?
I know we can do better<br>than this, for goodness
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On<br>Behalf Of
kmrsy@comcast.net<br>Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 2:26 PM<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: [CHAT] throw away
with some of the<br>other things we've been complaining about
recently.<br><br>I have mentioned that I'm getting my kitchen updated a
bit. While I'm at<br>it I thought I would replace the electronic
touch-pad clock assembly on<br>my gas stove. The down-arrow contacts are
'bad', so when I touch 'bake',<br>the temp starts at 350 degrees and I
can't decrease the temp. I've<br>checked everywhere and no one will
repair the unit, so I ordered a new<br>clock assembly. Sears has
discontinued it. What!!??! It's only 12 years<br>old! "Well, ma'm, 10
yrs is the life expectancy of a stove." What!!??!<br>This stove cost
over $1000, and I fully expected to get a minimum of 20<br>years, and
more like 40 years out of it. And as I mentioned before, I<br>don't cook
much, so I should get more years out of a stove than a
say "the mfg has changed the<br>part # to...." I check sears.com and
they indicate they have it but<br>Sears by phone also said they had the
original #, billed me for it, but<br>couldn't send it because it was
discontinued. From checking back and<br>forth I now know that GE built
this Kenmore range, and it's the GE #<br>that is supposedly available at
RepairClinic.com. So I tried GE directly<br>with their part#

tell me why these places carry parts only during the warranty<br>period,
when, if the appliance is reasonably well-built, it will
easily<br>outlive that period? The time for things to go wrong is 10 yrs
out.<br>THAT's when you want repair parts! But they discontinue them in
the<br>expectation that you'll have to scrap it and by a new
If it can't be<br>made at 350+, I ain't cookin' it. And I'm not buying
another new
message<br>text UNSUBSCRIBE

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com