Re: attitudes/photos

Andrea, are you scanning a slide or print?  Like, this isn't digital
camera output, right?  If so, your scanner software may have a means
to determine image size, which has a lot to do with the file size;
check your manual or if you don't have one, the software ought to
have some kind of options or preferences you can use - normally
listed in some sort of menu on the screen that probably comes up when
you fire up the scanner - gotta have some means of getting the image
from scanner to computer.

I think it was Donna (message now gone, so can't refer) who mentioned
file size.  The resolution you use also impacts file size.  I find 96
a good resolution for photos meant to be viewed on a monitor.   72,
which is default for some digital cameras, is not good enough for
photographs; works OK for simple graphics.

If your scanner does not give you any options for determining image
size or resolution, you will need some type of photo editing program
- there are a lot of them; Photoshop being the big boy, but many
others with fewer options and much easier learning curves.
PaintShopPro is a good one and Ulead also has a decent one.  You
often get something bundled with a scanner or even a computer.

These image programs offer options for resizing images and you just
need to muck around with it until you've got whatever is offered
figured out.

You also want to save your image as a .jpg file.  There are many
compression options with the .jpg format.  The more compression, the
fuzzier the image.  You need to pick something in the middle of
whatever scale is offered by your program - a balancing act between
file size and image clarity.

.tiff format is not compressed and best for doing any work with an
image because you've got all the pixels in it to work with -
compression drops pixels, which is why images get fuzzy if they are
too compressed.  Once you've done all your tweaking, then save it as
a .jpg file.

When I scan a slide - which gives me a huge file size - I always crop
it first to remove any extraneous stuff that doesn't add to what I
want to show; then I reduce the file to a manageable size before
tweaking with contrast, etc. and then reduce it to the final size and
change the resolution to 96 and save it.  Every time you reduce an
image, you also lose pixels:-)  But my old box won't deal with a 15MB
image, so I have to reduce right away.

Images of long shots of gardens can be effective at a smaller size
than say a close up of a plant, but a safe bet is to always make sure
your images are not much larger than 400 pixels wide or tall - at
that size, whatever it is, is usually clear enough to see but the
file size won't take a day to download.   Of course, images can be
smaller and still be very clear; depends on what the image is.  A
400x400 image size shouldn't be over 40KB or 50KB in file size -
*very* general rule of thumb, but it gives you a starting point.
Also note that images hardly ever are square unless you crop them
that way - normally an oblong; in which case the longest side
shouldn't be more than 400pixels long, if that makes any sense.

Wayne Fulton has an excellent tutorial on scanning on the web; taught
me everything I know:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@islc.net>
> I'm OK Kitty, thanks for asking. Been kind of "out of the loop"
> Haven't felt much like chatting. But I'm getting better, and my
> drive is coming back. I have some great photos of some pots I did
that I'd
> like to scan and send to those who want to see them but I
discovered the