Re: OT throw away society - repercusions

I know I've been reading them and fuming for at least 30 years.  It
passes my understanding that humans can be so disdainful of what they
are doing to the planet.  The human race seems very short-sighted to
me.  Unless something directly affects someone, it doesn't exist.
People are so careless...throw it out; throw it away.  There is no
OUT and there is no AWAY, but that message does not seem to be
penetrating where it would do the most good.

You do have to wonder...here we have people "investigating" but not
acting.  We (humans in general) do a lot of that, it seems; study a
problem for years; spend megabucks on more studies but nothing on
correcting something so obviously a problem.  The saddest part is
that this sort of thing has been going on for centuries, literally.
Unfortunately, I don't think modern versions of ancient cesspits are
going to prove as interesting to archeologists in 1500 years as those
of our forebears do today; they'll be nothing but plastic bits; that
is, if we're still around in 1500 years.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: kmrsy@comcast.net
> Bonnie,
> These reports have been coming in for many years, though yours is
> probably the most recent. And yet no one does anything but report
on
> them. I just don't understand it.
>
> Kitty
> > November issue of Natural History includes a disturbing feature
about the
> > amount of plastic in the Pacific Ocean.  In the North Pacific
subtropical
> > gyre there is a "patch" of floating plastic debris the size of
Texas.