From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:26 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] throw away society

This  situation I'm about to describe has much to do with some of the other
things we've been complaining about recently.

I have mentioned that I'm getting my kitchen updated a bit. While I'm at
it I thought I would replace the electronic touch-pad clock assembly on
my gas stove. The down-arrow contacts are 'bad', so when I touch 'bake',
the temp starts at 350 degrees and I can't decrease the temp. I've
checked everywhere and no one will repair the unit, so I ordered a new
clock assembly. Sears has discontinued it. What!!??! It's only 12 years
old! "Well, ma'm, 10 yrs is the life expectancy of a stove." What!!??!
This stove cost over $1000, and I fully expected to get a minimum of 20
years, and more like 40 years out of it. And as I mentioned before, I
don't cook much, so I should get more years out of a stove than a family
might.

So then I tried Repairclinic.com and they say "the mfg has changed the
part # to...." I check sears.com and they indicate they have it but
Sears by phone also said they had the original #, billed me for it, but
couldn't send it because it was discontinued. From checking back and
forth I now know that GE built this Kenmore range, and it's the GE #
that is supposedly available at RepairClinic.com. So I tried GE directly
with their part#. "Sorry ma'm, that part's been discontinued."

Can anyone tell me why these places carry parts only during the warranty
period, when, if the appliance is reasonably well-built, it will easily
outlive that period? The time for things to go wrong is 10 yrs out.
THAT's when you want repair parts! But they discontinue them in the
expectation that you'll have to scrap it and by a new one.

Well, nothin-doin! No more 200 degree cheesecake here. If it can't be
made at 350+, I ain't cookin' it. And I'm not buying another new stove.

Kitty