From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:51:59 +0000
Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society

Melody! Is this available on vhs or dvd? I would just love to see
it.<br>Kitty<br>> There's a wonderful little children's movie called
"The Brave Little<br>> Toaster Goes to Space" about this very
thing...how manufacturers<br>> intentionally began to build appliances
that wouldn't last in order to<br>> improve their profit margin but the
appliances somehow got wise to this<br>> plan and moved to Mars, where
they have spent the last 50 years<br>> organizing a take over of the
planet Earth as revenge for this little<br>> bit of nastiness...scenes
of militant washers, dryers, stoves,<br>> refrigerators, etc. all
marching in army-like precision across the<br>> reddened earth of Mars.
Would serve some of those "discontinued" parts<br>> manufacturers right,
most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." <br>>
--Albert Einstein<br>> <br>> --- On Wed 11/12, Lynda Young <
lyoung@grindertaber.com > wrote:<br>> From: Lynda Young [mailto:
lyoung@grindertaber.com]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Wed, 12
Nov 2003 14:54:58 -0600<br>> Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society<br>>
have<br>> been<br>discontinued" I could scream - that's almost worse
than<br>> appliances I am<br>convinced have been built to self-destruct
once the<br>> warranty period has<br>passed. What happened to American
Built, Yankee<br>> Ingenuity - built to<br>last longer, be more
efficient and work harder?<br>> I know we can do better<br>than this,
owner-gardenchat@hort.net<br>> [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]
much to do<br>> with some of the<br>other things we've been complaining
abou

updated a<br>> bit. While I'm at<br>it I thought I would replace the
electronic<br>> touch-pad clock assembly on<br>my gas stove. The
down-arrow contacts are<br>> 'bad', so when I touch 'bake',<br>the temp
starts at 350 degrees and I<br>> can't decrease the temp.
I've<br>checked everywhere and no one will<br>> repair the unit, so I
ordered a new<br>clock assembly. Sears has<br>> discontinued it.
What!!??! It's only 12 years<br>old! "Well, ma'm, 10<br>> yrs is the
life expectancy of a stove." What!!??!<br>This stove cost<br>> over
$1000, and I fully expected to get a minimum of 20<br>years, and<br>>
more like 40 years out of it. And as I mentioned before, I<br>don't
cook<br>> much, so I should get more years out of a stove than a<br>>
they<br>> say "the mfg has changed the<br>part # to...." I check
sears.com and<br>> they indicate they have it but<br>Sears by phone also
said they had the<br>> original #, billed me for it, but<br>couldn't
send it because it was<br>> discontinued. From checking back
and<br>forth I now know that GE built<br>> this Kenmore range, and it's
the GE #<br>that is supposedly available at<br>> RepairClinic.com. So I
places carry parts only during the warranty<br>period,<br>> when, if the
appliance is reasonably well-built, it will<br>> easily<br>outlive that
period? The time for things to go wrong is 10 yrs<br>> out.<br>THAT's
when you want repair parts! But they discontinue them in<br>>
the<br>expectation that you'll have to scrap it and by a new<br>>
here.<br>> If it can't be<br>made at 350+, I ain't cookin' it. And I'm
not buying<br>> another new<br>>
-

    http://www.excite.com<br>>

The most personalized portal on the Web!<br>> <br>>