Re: Another OT

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Of course I can't read the writing, but from what I can recall, one
is an
> inhaler, one is for eye drops (the antibiotic somehow goes from
your eyes
> down into your sinuses).  another is a cough syrup, then the chest
x-ray,
> another for allegra. That leaves two I'm not sure about.
----------

Well, Kitty, unless you have an active sinus *infection*, the
antibiotic ain't gonna do you any good - they are totally ineffectual
against any type of virus.  The common cold is a virus.  If you do
have a sinus infection, antibiotics are the only way to really get
rid of one....been there many times; done that.  If you have an
infection, you will know it - gross, but you'll have green and bloody
discharge going and a fair amount of pain around your eyes where the
sinus are located.  Like it will be sore to the touch as well as your
having a headache and you will likely be running a low grade fever as
well from it. Sinus infections are a bear in more ways than one.

Cough syrup I can understand - does it contain codeine (sp?) or some
other item that you can't get over the counter?

The inhaler is probably to unclog you.  If that works for you, go for
it.

I thought allegra was for allergies?  If you have the common cold,
then I can't see what that would do for you; but don't really know
what it contains or is supposed to do.  Could just be something that
dries you out a  bit.  I use Sudafed or Actifed for that - maybe
allegra does the same thing?

Chest X-ray may be on account of his wanting to rule out bronchitis
or merely to protect himself so that he was seen to have done
everything possible in case you sue him:-)

What you could do is go to your local pharmacist and have them
interpret the prescriptions and tell you exactly what each is
supposed to do; they are supposed to be able to do that for people.
Then, when you have the spelling correct for each one, you can plug
it into Google and find out what kind of reactions you might get from
taking it and all sorts of other info.

Personally, I wouldn't just blindly take what is prescribed anymore.
Used to, but have learned the hard way that today's doctors seem to
be prescription happy and do not always take into consideration just
what those meds will do to a person beyond their advertised purpose.

I know it's hard to concentrate on all this with a bad cold going.
What you probably really need is at least one solid day in bed with
cups of hot tea with lemon and honey and bowls of nice chicken soup
with a good book to read and doze over - nice heating pad on your
tootsies...all mod cons:-)  Truly, one of the best cures for a cold
is chugging as much liquid as you can hold - the more you drink; the
more you go and that removes the virus from your system...that plus
washing your hands *very* often with hot water and soap and trying
not to rub your hands on your face which just keeps the virus going
back and forth.

Hope you start feeling better soon!  I seldom get colds, but when I
do, they're doozies and you have my full sympathy for feeling
miserable - not fun at all!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade